Fall brings ideal weather for football, golf, tennis, fall festivals, apple picking and almost any outdoor activity; including gutter cleaning in Atlanta metro! If you’d rather not drag out the ladders yourself this year, Atlanta residents have many alternatives. You can install a modern system designed to reduce gutter clogging or hire a professional, bonded & insured gutter cleaning service. But first, why should you do gutter cleaning at all?
Why Take Time for Gutter Cleaning?
- Buildup of debris in your gutters causes water to seep into areas where it causes damage to wood, shingles, basement, even inside walls and ceiling. These repair costs will be expensive.
- Prevention saves money. Clogged gutters become heavy and pull away from where they are nailed to the soffit. Gutter spikes can be hammered back in, but from then on the risk of pulling out is greater whenever the gutter fills with water. The solution, re-attaching the entire gutter with screws, will be costly.
- Free-flowing gutters move rainwater away from your home and foundation, so it cannot cause harm.
- The CDC (Centers for Disease Control) says standing water in gutters can breed mosquitoes in summer, which are pesky but also spread West Nile Virus. 
Cleaning vs. Gutter Guards
Atlanta gutter cleaning has particular challenges. The metro region is known for its trees and many trees means lots of leaf fall. It’s no wonder installing guards to keep leaves out of gutters is a hot topic every year at this time!
Gutter guard systems come in several basic types:
- Fine mesh screen
- Surface tension caps
- Foam or brush inserts and
- Hybrid systems.
All are effective to some degree at keeping leaves out of your gutters. The problems come with the small seeds, pods and especially pine needles that penetrate and allow organic matter to build up inside. It seems gutters with guards all still require some gutter cleaning.
Best Solutions for Pine Needles and Other Debris
Those beautiful loblolly pines native to the area shed pine needles that will clog many a gutter in Atlanta. They tend to stick in both foam and brush inserts and the rotting needles can cause them to look black and unsightly. While screens and inserts are among the least expensive guards, high winds and squirrels also easily pop them up making them ineffective.
A September 2010 “Consumer Reports” research study found that fine mesh screen gutter systems did the best job of blocking debris while letting rainwater flow through. Next best were screen systems, followed by surface tension and the other gutter guard systems. Of course, these fine mesh screen systems cost more than regular screen, so if cost is an issue you may want to consider an alternative route.
Gutter guards vs. DIY vs. Professional Gutter Cleaning?
Before you invest, it’s worth estimating and comparing the value of hiring professional gutter cleaners vs. doing the work yourself vs. purchasing an installed gutter guard system.
Compare Costs for Gutter Cleaning
|Gutter System||Do It Yourself||Professional Service|
|An average house needs a 160 ft. gutter. Systems fall in a wide range from $3.25 to $25 per foot. Some cleaning is still required. For a system that will last 10 years estimate between $2,000 to $4,000 Plus one cleans per year.||Greatest costs are injuries from ladder falls. Other costs are only hoses and small tools to scoop debris.||Sunshine is competitively priced bonded & insured. Based on 160 ft. the average gutter cleaning is $150 x 2 per year = $300 Over ten years that would amount to only|
TEN YEAR ESTIMATE
|$3000 + $150 per yr.||$500 to $5,000 depending on your insurance deductible plus lost time.||$3000|
Additional benefits of professional gutter cleaning are:
- Safety: Your family members are not at risk climbing a ladder. Professional services like Sunshine are bonded and insured for any accidents that might occur on your premises and our teams are trained for safety.
- Time: A typical professional team of two, equipped with ladders, ropes and harnesses can perform this service much more efficiently than the typical homeowner, leaving you time to enjoy the beautiful fall weekends.
- Inspection of difficult to reach areas: service workers will notice and report problems with your roof, will re-attach gutters if drooping, and will let you know about any issues that need the attention of a roofer or carpenter.
In Atlanta gutter cleaning is a seasonal task that must be done to preserve the value of your investment in your home. If you have any questions about the best way to get your gutters cleaned, please call us at 770-609-4046 and speak with anyone on our team of professionals.